Commercial Break Workout
A few years ago, I lost a significant amount of weight. My biggest piece of advice when someone would approach me for weight loss tips was to just keep moving. It doesn't matter if you walk a mile or run a marathon, just keep moving! While I am not the biggest fan of at home workouts (I get distracted easy), I love doing squats and lunges while watching TV. Because of this, you can understand how stoked I was when Kimberly Hurley, a physical education professor at Ball State, sent over her favorite exercises to do during commercial breaks.
“Many people just switch channels during commercials and gorge themselves on fattening foods,” she says. “I suggest that you get up and move for a minute or two. In addition to getting your heart rate up, it certainly can help to get the digestion moving after someone has sat with a full belly.”
Hurley’s top five exercises done for 30 seconds each:
- Squats: Crouch and rise repeatedly. Use a wall or chair to support the movement, if needed.
- Planks: This resembles the upper phase of a push-up, in which you are on your hands and toes with your body in a straight line.
- Curl up: Resembling a modified sit-up, you simply raise the shoulders off the ground.
- Standing cross body punches: While standing with knees slight bench, punch across your body in a controlled movement.
- Climbers: This also resembles a push-up. While on all four limbs, move your leg toward your head and shoulders and return. Then alternate.
Hurley says that doing each exercise during the commercials guarantees a healthy sweat during 30 minutes of television viewing.
“These aren’t CrossFit or extreme moves but simple movements than can be done by anyone in good health. And the whole family can get involved, making the holidays even more fun for everyone.”
hat are you favorite quick and easy at home workouts?