How To Survive A Work Day When You Have Anxiety
It's no secret that I have my own struggles with mental health. Over the years, I've figured out a lot of little tips and tricks that make getting through the work day a little bit easier when I am crawling out of my skin with anxiety.
- Know your triggers - I can't stress this one enough. It's crucial to know what your triggers are so you can avoid them. Example, I know that hearing people eat is a massive trigger for me so I kindly (okay sometimes I am bitchy) as everyone at the office to not eat in meetings unless everyone else is eating.
- Drink more water and less coffee - When I am all jacked up on coffee, there's a higher chance that I am going to go into blackout rage mode if anything remotely negative happens. Instead, I chug water all day. Water seems to be especially helpful when I am in a full blown anxiety/panic attack. I generally like to get super cold water and just chug it. It's like it freezes me for a second and makes me slow down.
- Keep track of your schedule - I HAVE to write down every single event/meeting/yoga class/etc down in an actual planner. Yes, I still put everything on my phone calendar so I get the alerts but I also have to write everything down. Actually having to write it down makes it stick, putting my mind at ease. I highly suggest grabbing one of these ban.do planners as they are my FAVE.
- Become obsessed with lists - All I do is make lists of lists. Lists are my FAVORITE. They help me feel more in control. When I can see everything I have to do, it can sometimes freak me out but I knock off the quickest, easiest things first, then tackle the hard stuff. (This is contrary to what everyone ever will tell you but it works for me so you do you.) Again, digital doesn't do it for me so I use actual notebooks to write things down. Highly suggest purchasing a RocketBook so you can get the best of both worlds.
- Diffuse some oils, girl - When everyone at my office came down with some sort of virus, I brought in my extra diffuser and some oils to kill their germs. Since then, I have been diffusing oils at my desk. Throw some lavender in and bliss the EFF out! You can even get mini USB diffusers!!
- Stress walks - Get your legs pumping and breathe some fresh air! I take "Stress Walks" as much as I possibly can on days where I feel like I just can't get a grip. Even if it's just a 2-minute walk around the building, it will vastly improve your mood.
- Take your damn lunch break - We are all entitled to a lunch break yet no one ever takes them. TAKE YOURS!!! Go eat!! If you brought your lunch, go eat outside. When you get away from your desk, you're able to remove yourself from the situation a bit and think more clearly. Also, a lot of the time you're just hangry so food should help your mood (poet and I know it).
Got any tips that help you deal? Let me know!