Workout Review: Platefit
When the team behind PLATEFIT asked me if I was down to come in and try a workout, I don't think i have ever said "YES" faster in my entire life. PLATEFIT is a one-of-a-kind boutique fitness studio that specializes in a variety of different workouts using the revolutionary medical device, Power Plate. The Power Plate uses vibration technology to engage the muscles more consistently and deliver better results for each user in a short amount of time. PLATEFIT has transformed it into an invigorating fitness tool that will deliver full cardio and strength training in just 27 minutes!
They offer a variety of classes but I decided since it was my first time, I would try out the basic PlateFIT class. Located right behind Kings Road Cafe, I was worried I wouldn't be able to find parking at 8AM on a Saturday morning. The LA parking gods smiled on me and I lucked up with a metered parking space directly in front of the studio. When I arrived, the team introduced themselves and helped me pick out a few free weights, a towel and a small exercise ball. I was stoked to see that they have cubbies to hold your bag, COMPLETE WITH PHONE CHARGERS. Finally, people that understand my need to keep my phone charged!
The workout was INTENSE y'all!! The vibrations of the plate take a little bit to get used to. Actually, I am not sure I even got used to it. The plate vibrates at different intensities but mine was set to 35 (which means my muscles were pulsing 35x per second). Since the class size is extremely small, the instructor has more time to come around and make adjustments which I appreciated as I was a newbie. Who knew that just a few jumping jacks and high knees could be so hard?! As you all know, I work out every single day. I love intense workouts. I fancy myself to be pretty athletic..but y'all...this was HARD in the best way! At the end of 27 minutes, I felt the same way I do after I run a 10k.
I had the chance to catch PLATEFIT owner Rachael Blumberg as I was leaving the class and she told me I burned anywhere from 500-700 calories...IN 27 MINUTES! It's like she read my mind when she followed it up with "so you don't have to work out any more today!" (because I am a weirdo and like to workout multiple times per day on weekends). Let's not even mention the fact that I thought I was taking the regular PlateFIT class but actually took the BootcampFIT class! Still ruled and I enjoyed the extra butt-kicking!
All in all, I really enjoyed my PLATEFIT experience and would highly recommend that my friends try a class. You can drop in to a class for $27 OR new members get 1 month unlimited classes for $99.
Here are a few of their class options:
- PlateFIT - mixes calisthenics and body weight exercises with cardio and strength training.
- YogaFIT - uses low therapeutic vibrations to enhance a deep stretch.
- BalletFIT - combines elements of the standard Pilates, dance, ballet & barre workouts with additional emphases on the core.
- BootcampFIT - high-intensity, full-body workouts that target the major muscle groups of the upper & lower body using dumbbells, exercise bands, or one’s own body weight.
- DanceFIT - combine easy to follow dance moves with plyometrics for a total body workout.
- KickboxFIT - integrates combinations of punches, kicks, cardio, abs with additional muscle and motion exercises to strengthen and tone.
- CelluliteFIT – The certified instructors will walk you through a series of positions designed to blast away that stubborn cellulite.